Learn what your baby needs and prepare ahead!
Baby Needs -- Preparing for your precious baby!
Babies are a precious gifts from God. Every baby is unique and special. They also require a great deal of preparation and care!
Properly preparing for the arrival of your special gift is a part of good organizing. It's not safe for you or baby to wade through a sea of baby-related stuff!
You will find helpful tips to provide for your little one on this page:
Baby Needs: Furniture
Listed below are some items to consider purchasing before baby's arrival. Prior to purchasing any of these items, be sure to check the Internet for information on hazard/safety related recalls. You won't waste your money or put your precious baby at risk. Be careful with donated or family heirlooms as they could contain lead-based paint or have other safety concerns. If your budget requires you use a donated furniture item, refinish and amend as necessary for your baby's safety. Also be sure furniture is flame resistant or flame retardant.
Here are some items to consider purchasing:
- Bassinet or cradle
- Crib if you choose not to purchase a bassinet or cradle
- Crib mattress and bumper set
- At least 2 sets of crib sheets (4 would be better)
- Changing table
- Diaper pail (to be used for cloth diapers or for soiled clothing)
- Baby bathtub
- High chair with safety strap (you can postpone this purchase until baby is able to sit without support)
- Stationary baby walker or play center (optional)
- Playpen (optional)
- Rocking chair (optional)
- Automatic stand-alone swing (use when child is old enough to sit up without support)
- 3-4 fitted sheets
- 2 quilted mattress pads
- 2-6 waterproof pads
- 2 crib blankets or comforters
- 1-2 blankets for the carriage or stroller
Baby Needs: Clothing
Babies grow quickly. Try to limit the number of newborn clothing items you purchase. Instead, get a range of clothing up to six month old sizes. Be sure all clothing is flame retardant. Always follow the washing instructions indicated on the clothing tags.
You don't have to purchase every item listed, but these items will cover the basic necessities:
- 4-6 receiving blankets
- 2-3 pairs of baby socks and/or shoes(optional -- cute, but not necessary until baby is walking)
- 5-7 undershirts
- 6-7 Onesies
- 3-4 stretch suits with feet
- 3-8 night gowns (with drawstring bottoms)
- 1-2 sweaters
- 1-2 hats
- 1-2 sets of baby washcloths and towels (hooded)
- 3-4 dozen newborn diapers (plus 3-4 waterproof pants/4-5 sets diaper pins if using cloth
- 2-4 washable bibs
- 4-6 burp rags (can use cloth diapers for this)
Baby Needs: Feeding Supplies
Whether you choose to breast feed or use formula, you will need some of these items:
- Breast pump if breast feeding (manual/electric/battery operated)
- 12 4-8oz nursing bottles (plastic is durable; glass is easier to clean)
- 12 nipples
- 1 set of bottle brush/nipple brushes
- 2-3 pacifiers (dishwasher safe, 1-1/2" wide shield)
Baby Needs: Miscellaneous Items
You will need some of these items as well:
- At least 1 infant car seat or convertible infant/toddler seat (follow manufacturer's instructions on installation and placement)
- 1 infant carrier
- 1 nasal suction bulb
- 1 humidifier (optional)
- 1 rectal thermometer (glass or digital)
- 1 stroller/carriage/pram (or combination unit)
- 1 Baby Bjorn (front pack for carrying baby up to 5-6 months)
- 1 diaper bag
- 1 calibrated spoon/medicine dropper/syringe (dispensing medicine)
- 1 nursery monitor/intercom
Baby Needs: Safety supplies
These items will help you child proof your house:
- plastic covers for electric outlets (get enough for every outlet)
- safety latches for cabinets (get enough for bathrooms as well)
- plastic corner guards for furniture edges (only for sharp corners)
- baby gates for stairs
- guards for windows (only if you are above the first floor)
- nonskid backing for rugs
With these items on hand, you'll be prepared to bring your precious bundle of joy home with confidence!
Click the link below for a helpful Free Baby Needs Checklist PDF that you can download:
Baby Check List
This section will provide you with links to other helpful articles :
Becoming a New Grandparent
Everyone Deserves a Birthday!
Pro-Choice and Doing the Right Thing
40 Days for Life
This section will provide you with links to other useful sites you might be interested in:
Creative-Baby-Nursery-Rooms.com A step-by-step guide to setting up, decorating and equipping your baby nursery.
Share Your Baby Stories Here!
Do you have a great tip or idea for other mothers? Share it!
For more information on related topics, click on the links below: